This Florentine Italiante building features
ornate 16-foot ceilings, 12-foot windows and a wrought-iron cage elevator. Two floors were
added in 1887 to accommodate the San Diego Public Library. In 1900 the entire city
government moved in with the Police Department on the first floor and the Council Chambers
on the fourth. The city was run from this hub for the next 35 years.
It is currently occupied by a variety of
tenants, including a real estate office, a beauty salon, and Jimmy Loves, a restaurant.
Back To A Brief
History of Downtown San Diego